Updated January 8th, 2024 at 16:18 IST
10 most interesting quotes of Stephen William Hawking on Science, on his birthday
Celebrating Stephen Hawking's 81st birthday with 10 insightful quotes, showcasing his brilliance, humor, and enduring legacy in theoretical physics.
- 3 min read
In the world of scientific brilliance, few minds shine as brightly as that of Stephen William Hawking. As we celebrate what would have been his 81st birthday, it's not just an occasion to remember the man behind the wheelchair-bound genius but an opportunity to fill ourselves in the wisdom of the outer space he left behind for us.
Hawking, renowned for his groundbreaking work in theoretical physics, transcended the limitations of his body, leaving a legacy of profound insights and captivating perspectives on the cosmos. On this special day, let's take a journey into the universe of his thoughts and revisit 10 of the most captivating quotes that reflect the brilliance, humor, and humanity of this extraordinary scientist.
1. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”
2. “If you jump into a black hole, your mass energy will be returned to our universe but in a mangled form which contains the information about what you were like but in a state where it can not be easily recognized. It is like burning an encyclopedia. Information is not lost, if one keeps the smoke and the ashes. But it is difficult to read.”
3. “It surprises me how disinterested we are today about things like physics, space, the universe and philosophy of our existence, our purpose, our final destination. It's a crazy world out there. Be curious.”
4. “One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist...Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.”
5. “The idea of 10 dimensions might sound exciting, but they would cause real problems if you forget where you parked your car.”
6. “I have spent my life traveling across the universe, inside my mind.”
7. “You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it.”
8. “Even if it turns out that time travel is impossible, it is important that we understand why it is impossible.”
9. “I am just a child who has never grown up. I still keep asking these 'how' and 'why' questions. Occasionally, I find an answer.”
10. “My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”
As we look at the legacy and the knowledge of outer space discovered by Stephen William Hawking, we shall never forget how motivation can work. At 21, he was told by the doctors that he would not live beyond 23, but he lived more than 55 years from that day.
On his birthday, let us celebrate the legacy of a man who, against all odds, elevated the human spirit through the exploration of the cosmos.
Published January 8th, 2024 at 16:18 IST