World Cup-winning opening batsman and Lok Sabha Member of Parliament Gautam Gambhir turned 38 on Monday. He represented India in 58 Test matches, scoring 4,154 runs at an average of 42. However, he was known more for his stellar contribution in limited-overs cricket. Gambhir played 147 ODIs and 37 T20Is, scoring 5,238 and 932 runs respectively in each format. Apart from this, he has been creating a buzz on the microblogging website Twitter for the last few years. Basically, unlike other renowned personalities, he has not shied away from openly showcasing his nationalism.
1. Gambhir had a categorical take on the alleged chanting of anti-India slogans in the Jawaharlal Nehru University and Jadavpur University. He appealed for unity on this occasion.
Shocking videos frm JNU & Jadhavpur Uni. Grow up politicians. Dnt politicise this, get united for Mother India.— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) February 16, 2016
2. This comment on social media came at a juncture when the Indian Air Force (IAF) bombed the terrorist camp of Jaish-e-Mohammed in Balakot, Pakistan. While certain sections in India cast aspersions over the veracity of the airstrike, Gambhir made his position extremely clear.
3. The former opener urged every country to stop giving aid to Pakistan. This came in the wake of Pakistan's failed attempt to violate Indian air space and harm military installations after the Balakot airstrike.
I’d urge each and every country to stop aids to Pakistan and most of all my second most favoured cricketing nation, Australia. India fears that your dollars are not being used for right causes #StopAidToPak https://t.co/HjfHmibUh3— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) March 14, 2019
4. Responding to Pakistan cricketer Shahid Afridi's call for UN's intervention in Kashmir, the Lok Sabha MP retorted by stating the atrocities in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
@SAfridiOfficial is spot on guys. There is “unprovoked aggression”, there r “crimes against humanity”. He shud be lauded 👏for bringing this up. Only thing is he forgot to mention that all this is happening in “Pakistan Occupied Kashmir”. Don’t worry, will sort it out son!!!— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) August 6, 2019
5. After Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan threatened India of a bloodbath in his speech at the UN General Assembly, Gambhir lambasted him and called for his excommunication from the sports fraternity.
Sportspeople are supposed to be role models. Of good behavior. Of Team spirit. Of ethics. Of strength of character. Recently in the UN, we also saw a former sportsperson speak up. As a role model for terrorists. @ImranKhanPTI should be excommunicated from sports community.— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) September 30, 2019