On Tuesday, BCCI chief-elect Sourav Ganguly said that Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has confirmed her presence on the first day of the second Test match between India and Bangladesh at Eden Gardens in Kolkata slated to take place from November 22 to 26. "If all goes as planned, she will ring the bell at the stadium to signal the start of the game. We will also send an invitation to Prime Minister Modi and West Bengal Chief Minister," Ganguly told the reporters at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
Commenting on the Bangladesh cricketers' strike issue, Sourav Ganguly said that the matter will be sorted out by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and expressed optimism that the players will come to India for the tour. The Bangladeshi cricketers have decided not to take part in any cricket activity until their 11 demands are met. These include the reversal of the BCB's decision last month to abandon the Bangladesh Premier League's (BPL) franchise-based model. The decision made on the country's T-20 league resulted in the reduction of the average professional cricketer's earning to an all-time low. The cricket governing body also did not raise match fees in the first-class competition that began earlier this month.
Addressing the media, senior players like Shakib Al Hasan, Mahmudullah, Mushfiqur Rahim clearly stated that they will be off cricketing activities till the time their demands are fulfilled. “We did not include the Under-19 team as they are preparing for the World Cup. Everybody else is here and we know everybody is with us. We are not going to involve in cricket. Unless our demand is fulfilled, we are not coming back to cricket,” Shakib said. Bangladesh is scheduled to play three T20 matches and a two-match Test series in India in November with the first T20I slated to begin on November 3 in Delhi.
India took only two overs to wrap South Africa’s second innings on Tuesday as they won the third Test by an innings and 202 runs at Ranchi. In the process, they whitewashed South Africa (SA) 3-0. This is not just the 4th biggest innings defeat for SA, but also only the third time since re-admission that the team has lost all matches in a series involving three or more Tests. The last occasion on which SA lost two or more consecutive Tests in a series by an innings margin was against Australia at home in the 1935-36 season. Furthermore, on his own, swashbuckling opener Rohit Sharma scored more runs in an innings (212) than what the entire SA team could manage in each innings respectively.
(With ANI inputs)