Updated January 5th, 2024 at 16:02 IST
Elderly man burns 75% of his body trying to open bag of chips with lighter
An elderly man in Georgia suffered severe burns over 75 percent of his body while attempting to open a bag of chips with a lighter.
- World News
- 2 min read
An elderly man in Georgia suffered severe burns over 75 percent of his body while attempting to open a bag of chips with a lighter, as reported by local officials. The 75-year-old victim's identity has not been disclosed.
The incident occurred around 4:37 p.m. on Wednesday in the City of Dalton, according to Bruce Frazier, the town's communications director.
The victim, in an attempt to open bags of chips, resorted to using a lighter when he faced difficulty doing so with his hands. Unfortunately, during this process, the man accidentally set himself on fire while sitting in a recliner, as detailed in the press release. The incident resulted in serious injuries.
Quick action by maintenance workers prevented the fire from spreading beyond the recliner. They used a water hose to contain the blaze until firefighters arrived on the scene, as per the reports.
Following the incident, the victim was transported to Erlanger Baroness Hospital in Chattanooga, Tenn., with third-degree burns covering approximately 75 percent of his body.
Subsequently, the victim was transferred to a burn center and his current condition remains unknown.
The press release did not clarify whether the fire originated directly from the chips or if it was caused by another factor. The flammability of chips is noted due to their starchy and oily composition, according to insights from a local news outlet.
Published January 5th, 2024 at 15:53 IST