Updated January 6th, 2024 at 11:09 IST
Gaza has ‘simply become uninhabitable,’ says UN humanitarian chief
As the Israeli army struck more than 100 targets in the besieged strip, Gaza has already been reduced to rubble.
United Nations humanitarian chief Martin Griffiths on Jan 5 said that the besieged strip of Gaza has become “uninhabitable” due to the relentless strikes by the Israeli forces to eradicate Hamas. “Three months since the horrific Oct 7 attacks, Gaza has become a place of death and despair,” Griffiths said in a statement.
“Gaza has simply become uninhabitable. Its people are witnessing daily threats to their very existence – while the world watches on,” he added. The UN official continued that the “humanitarian community has been left with the impossible mission of supporting more than two million people.”
IDF strikes 100 targets in besieged strip
As the Israeli army struck more than 100 targets in the besieged strip, Gaza has already been reduced to rubble. Homes in the southern cities of Khan Younis and Rafah, as well as other areas have levelled to the ground, reports say.
“We continue to demand an immediate end to the war, not just for the people of Gaza and its threatened neighbours, but for the generations to come who will never forget these 90 days of hell and of assaults on the most basic precepts of humanity,” Griffiths said in a statement. “This war should never have started. But it’s long past time for it to end,” he added. Israel responded heavy handedly on the terror faction Hamas after its brutal assault on Oct 7 resulted in the deaths of around 1,140 civilians. Israel’s bombardment and ground invasion has killed an estimated 22,600 people, mostly women and kids, as per the Palestinian Health Ministry.
Earlier this week, the US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, headed to Israel amid the risks of the Israel Hamas war spillover into a broader regional conflict. Tensions escalated after an alleged Israeli airstrike in the Labanese capital of Beirut killed Saleh Al-Arouri, the deputy head of Hamas’ political bureau. Labanese militant group Hezbollah vowed for a significant retaliatory response over the assassination of the Hamas leader.
According to an Israeli news site Walla, Iran backed Hezbollah, with a presence in Iraq, Syria and Yemen, pledged a dire consequence for the killing of the Hamas leader, saying that the “expected response includes launching long-range missiles at targets in Israel.” Hamas’ Al Aqsa TV responded to the attack in a statement saying that it is going to avenge the death of Al-Arouri, who was “martyred in a treacherous Zionist airstrike in Beirut.” Israel, although, has refrained from officially claiming the responsibility of the strike.
Published January 6th, 2024 at 11:09 IST