Updated December 19th, 2023 at 19:35 IST
Benin Foreign Minister wraps up visit, discusses mutual interests with India
The visit of Benin's foreign minister, Olusegun Adjadi Bakari, to India, concluded as the leaders of the two countries exchanged views on various views.
The visit of Benin's foreign minister, Olusegun Adjadi Bakari, to India, concluded as the leaders of the two countries exchanged views on various regional and multilateral issues of mutual interest. The minister notably visited India for two days from December 16-18, according to an official press release from the Ministry of External Affairs.
Taking to X, formerly known as Twitter, EAM Jaishankar shared about his meeting saying, "Delighted to welcome FM @shegunbakari of Benin today. Discussed growing our political, economic and development partnership. Spoke about collaboration in agriculture, education, textiles and defence. Exchanged views on global issues and UN reform."
Jaishankar meets Olushegun to discuss economic and development partnership
Here are the highlights of the discussion between the two leaders:
- Olushegun Adjadi Bakari, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Benin, paid an official visit to India from December 16-18, 2023.
- Accompanied by H.E. Gaston Cossi Dossouhoui, Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, and other senior officials.
- During the visit, the Beninese Foreign Minister met with India's External Affairs Minister, discussing bilateral relations and exchanging views on various regional and multilateral issues of mutual interest.
- The Beninese side appreciated the inclusion of the African Union as a permanent member of the G20.
- The visiting dignitary also met with Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce and Industry, and the delegation had meetings with the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) to deepen trade and investment links.
- The visit provided further impetus to the existing bilateral relations, as stated in the release by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar discussed UN reforms and global issues with Benin counterpart Olushegun Adjadi Bakari in New Delhi.
- Discussions focused on enhancing political, economic, and development partnerships.
- Jaishankar, along with Union Minister of State (MEA) V Muraleedharan, engaged in talks with the Benin Foreign Minister.
- PM Narendra Modi, during the G20 Leaders Summit in Delhi, emphasized the need for reforms in global systems to align with present realities.
- PM Modi highlighted the disparity in the composition of the UN Security Council and called for necessary changes.
Benin's Foreign Minister arrived in India on an official visit to strengthen bilateral ties, expressing support for India's bid for a permanent seat in an expanded UN Security Council during the visit of former Benin President Boni Yayi in March 2009.
Published December 19th, 2023 at 19:35 IST