Updated December 27th, 2023 at 14:05 IST
Daughter's bold obituary exposes dark reality of 'Violent, Hateful' mother
A woman in the United States wrote a scathing obituary about her "violent, hateful, and cruel" mother.
A woman in the United States wrote a scathing obituary about her "violent, hateful, and cruel" mother. According to The Independent, the obituary for Linda Lernal Harvey Cullum Smith Stull, which has been taken down, was written by her 54-year-old daughter Gayle Harvey Heckman.
US woman writes one-of-a-kind obituary
- In the obituary, Gayle accused her mother of a series of abuses and wrongdoings.
- The obituary stated that as a mother, Lernal was violent, hateful, and cruel, engaging in physical, mental, emotional, verbal, and financial abuse against Gayle.
- It mentioned an incident where Lernal accused Gayle of 'trying to steal her husband' and proceeded to beat her senselessly.
- The obituary concluded with Gayle and her family forgiving Lernal, expressing the hope that she found peace, and stating that she would not be missed.
- Published in Three Rivers News three days after Lernal's death on December 12.
- The paper later shortened the obituary, describing it as a "spiteful hate piece" against a beloved community member.
- Gayle, Lernal's first child, explained that she wrote the obituary to clear her name and reclaim her identity.
- She emphasized that her intention was not to be hateful but to express her anger and address the cycle of trauma, particularly generational trauma.
- Mike Wilcox, publisher of Wilcox Newspapers, mentioned that the obituary ran in the print edition of Three Rivers on December 15.
- It was initially published without a thorough review and later taken down from the website due to complaints about its content.
- After removal, the newspaper received complaints, primarily from the daughter, expressing disagreement with the decision to take it down.
Published December 27th, 2023 at 14:01 IST