'She Had Performed Well...': Father Laments As 18-Year-Old NEET Aspirant Commits Suicide In Karnataka
Another NEET aspirant has committed suicide in Karnataka after the exam was cancelled due to allegations of question paper leak. The deceased was an 18-year-old girl who was academically strong and had scored 92% in Class 12.
Kalaburagi: An 18-year-old girl allegedly died by suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan at her home in Kalaburagi, Karnataka. Notably, the deceased had appeared for the NEET exam on May 3, which got cancelled over allegations of question paper leak.
The deceased has been identified as Bhagyashree who was academically strong and had scored 92% in Class 12.
‘She May Be Dejected’: Father
Bhagyashree's grieving father Rajshekar Patil said she had performed well in NEET, and “everything was going well”. He added, "Maybe she had some feelings in her mind about writing it (NEET) again."
He further said, “I do not blame anyone, I do not accuse anyone. We do not know her pain or suffering. What can I say?"
He further stressed that there was no distress or problem in their family, and they were living happily.
Earlier this month, a 22-year-old NEET aspirant allegedly died by suicide in Rajasthan's Sikar
The victim, identified as Pradeep Meghwal, was a resident of a village in Rajasthan's Jhunjhunu district. Police said he had been living in a rented room in Sikar's Jaldhari Nagar area along with his sisters and had been preparing for NEET for the past three years.
According to Udyog Nagar SHO Rajesh Kumar, Pradeep allegedly hanged himself from a ceiling fan using a scarf belonging to his sister.
Pradeep's father, Rajesh Kumar Meghwal, told police that his son had performed well in the May 3 exam and was expected to score around 650 out of 720 marks. He said the family had been hopeful that Pradeep would secure admission to a medical college this year after years of preparation. "His paper had gone very well this time. We were expecting over 650 marks and believed he would finally become a doctor," the father said.
He added that his son had been under severe stress after the paper leak surfaced and the examination was subsequently cancelled.
"He became disturbed and depressed," the father lamented.
NEET-UG 2026, held on May 3, was cancelled after law enforcement agencies indicated the exam process had been compromised. Around 22 lakh students had appeared for the test. The Centre has handed the case to the CBI.
Get Current Updates on India News, Entertainment News, Cricket News along with Latest News and Web Stories from India and around the world.
Published By : Nidhi Sinha
Published On: 24 May 2026 at 16:35 IST