Updated 22 February 2026 at 12:16 IST
8 Arrested For Alleged Terror Attack Plot; ISI, Bangladeshi Links Suspected
Eight suspects, including a Bangladeshi citizen, have been arrested for planning a major terrorist plot in Tamil Nadu at the behest of Pakistan's secret agency ISI and Bangladeshi terrorist organisations.
New Delhi: Eight suspects, including a Bangladeshi national, have been arrested on Sunday for allegedly plotting a major terror strike in India with the backing of Pakistan’s intelligence agency ISI and Bangladesh-based extremist organizations, police said.
The arrests were made following a 10-day anti-terror operation led by the Delhi Police's Special Cell.
The operation began after “Free Kashmir” and “Stop Genocide in Kashmir” posters surfaced at more than 10 locations across Delhi and Kolkata, including several Metro stations. Police said the posters were put up during the international AI Impact summit in the national capital.
According to reports, two of the accused were first held in West Bengal's Malda. Their phones were seized as a part of the investigation, which later revealed information about six more suspects, who were then arrested from Tamil Nadu. The accused have been identified as Mizanur Rahman, Mohammad Shabat, Umar, Mohammad Litan, Mohammad Shahid and Mohammad Ujjal.
Two of them were held from Uthukuli, three from Palladam and one from the Thirumuruganpoondi area. Dozens of mobile phones and SIM cards have been recovered from them, Delhi Police said.
Police also said the accused were employed in the garment industry and had kept their identities concealed using forged Aadhaar cards. Police said digital evidence indicates that the group was in constant touch through social media platforms and had links with operatives based in Bangladesh and Pakistan.
At least four of the accused conducted preliminary surveys of sensitive locations in the national capital and later returned to Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Photographs of potential targets were also found on seized devices.
Whether the group had established contact with Bangladesh-based “Tanzeem” outfits, or if funds had been routed to them for operational activities, is yet to be known as investigation remains underway.
It is also being suspected that a handler originally from Kashmir, now believed to be based in Pakistan, was coordinating the module through intermediaries based in Bangladesh. Police also said some of the accused had travelled to Bangladesh in the past and maintained direct or indirect contact with extremist organisations.
The arrests come amid heightened security in Delhi following intelligence inputs warning of a possible terror threat near the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk. Sources had indicated that Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) could be plotting an improvised explosive device (IED) attack targeting a temple in the area, allegedly to avenge a February 6 mosque blast in Islamabad.
"Blast alert in front of the Red Fort in Delhi. Terrorists may target a temple in Chandni Chowk. Lashkar-e-Taiba is plotting an IED attack. They are planning a major terrorist attack in India to avenge the February 6th mosque blast in Islamabad, Pakistan. Major temples in the country can be targeted by Lashkar-e-Taiba," Intelligence sources said.
The Special Cell said further interrogation is underway to uncover the full extent of the network and trace funding sources. Some members of the suspected module are believed to be absconding, and raids are ongoing in multiple states.
Police described the case as part of a broader pattern of 'white-collar terror modules' that involve highly educated and radicalised individuals and covert funding to conduct terror attacks. Further details are awaited as investigation remains underway.
(With Agency inputs)
Get Current Updates on India News, Entertainment News, Cricket News along with Latest News and Web Stories from India and around the world.
Published By : Anushka De
Published On: 22 February 2026 at 10:20 IST