Bear Grylls is a famous TV celebrity who rose to fame with his iconic show Man vs Wild that airs on the Discovery Channel. The brave Britisher is an ex-military man who saw an increase in popularity in India after he aired an episode with Narendra Modi. Check out some interesting facts about the world-renowned adventurer and survival expert that you may have never heard of.
ALSO READ| Channing Tatum, Brie Larson Unleash Their Inner Steel On The Bear Grylls' Show
Bear Grylls facts
- Bear Grylls was nicknamed as Bear by his elder sister. His real name is Edward Michael Grylls.
- He is given the title of OBE that refers to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
- Bear Grylls learnt climbing and sailing at a very young age from his father who was a former Royal Marines Commando.
- At the age of 18, Bear learnt martial arts and was even awarded his second Dan black belt in Shotokan Karate at such a young age. He was the youngest kid in the U.K. to have received this honour.
- Bear Grylls started serving as a Trooper in the 21st Regiment of SAS as a part of the UK Special Forces Reserve for three years.
- Bear had a horrifying incident after having a freakish freefall from a parachute in South Africa. This accident broke his spine at three places which made the doctors believe that he would never be able to walk again.
- Grylls climbed the 22,000ft 'unclimbable' Edmund Hillary peak soon after completing his rehab sessions following the parachute incident.
- Bear Grylls was awarded the Guinness World Record to be the youngest Brit to scale Mt. Everest at the age of 23.
- Grylls was awarded an honorary commission with the Royal Navy after serving as a Lieutenant-Commander. He was later awarded the honorary Lieutenant Colonel rank in the Royal Marine Commandos.
- He was appointed as the youngest-ever Chief Scout of the U.K. Scout Association. His appointment as the Chief Scout extended till 2020 to make him the longest-serving Chief Scout. He was later announced as the first-ever Chief Ambassador to World Scouting by the WOSM.
ALSO READ| Rajinikanth Calls 'Man Vs Wild' Filmography With Bear Grylls, An Unforgettable Experience
Man vs Wild
After shooting an episode of Man vs Wild with Narendra Modi and Tamil superstar Rajinikanth, Bear Grylls is reportedly set to air more episodes with Indian celebrities. These celebrities are rumoured to be Virat Kohli, Deepika Padukone, and Akshay Kumar.
ALSO READ| Akshay Kumar To Feature Next In An Episode Of 'Man Vs. Wild' With Bear Grylls?
ALSO READ| Bear Grylls And His Celebrity Guests: Narendra Modi, Rajinikanth & Courteney Cox
Source: Official Bear Grylls website
Get the latest entertainment news from India & around the world. Now follow your favourite television celebs and telly updates. Republic World is your one-stop destination for trending Bollywood news. Tune in today to stay updated with all the latest news and headlines from the world of entertainment.