Claim: KBC is running an online lottery on WhatsApp messenger.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Did 7 Children Die In Senegal Due To COVID-19 Vaccine?
What is the rumour about?
- Recently, a viral message is being circulated that states that a lucky draw will take place and the person has the chance to win a lottery prize of Rs 25 lakhs. It says that the lottery lucky draw is being conducted by KBC JIO.
- The message also states that famous personalities like Amitabh Bachchan, Mukesh Ambani and even Narendra Modi have done this lucky draw by KBC JIO. The message also provides a WhatsApp number to contact for further details on how to get the winning amount.
- Here is the WhatsApp message that is being forwarded with an audio clip.
Image courtesy: WhatsApp
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Does Vitamin D Protect From Coronavirus? Find Out
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Do Kalonji Seeds Contain Hydroxychloroquine Used To Treat Coronavirus?
After an analysis of Google Trends with respect to the KBC Lottery rumour, one can see that people have been hugely interested to know about the same. The maximum number of searches have been done on April 15, 2020, and the trend seems to be increasing today on April 16 as well due to the circulation of the viral message forwards.
Image courtesy: Google Trends
ALSO READ| FACT CHECK: Is Video Showing South Africans Looting Shops During COVID-19 Lockdown True?
A fact check
- Republic World did a fact check on the KBC lottery rumour and found the claims to be a hoax.
- KBC is not conducting any such lotteries or lucky draws that are worth Rs 25 lakhs. The previous season aired its last episode in November 2019.
- These message forwards have earlier been reported in 2018 as well in a slightly different format. However, the Mumbai Police promptly replied to the Twitter user and advised him to not share such personal sensitive details. Take a look.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Are Protests Being Conducted In The Philippines Due To The COVID-19 Lockdown?
- On research, it was found that there are many websites through which these lucky draw and lottery hoaxes are taking place. Take a look at these websites which are still conducting such fake lotteries.
Image courtesy: kbclottery.biz website
Image courtesy: kbconlinelottery website
- It is advised NOT to give your personal bank information or any such sensitive information to anyone on the account of receiving a surprise lucky draw amount.
Is there any rumour you want Republic World to do a fact check on? Do you have facts about a rumour? Share your pictures or videos with Republic World on firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this story itself.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Did Over 100 Doctors Die In Italy After Being Infected With The Coronavirus?
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Are Beijing And Shanghai In China Not Affected By The Coronavirus Outbreak?
Promo Image Credit: WhatsApp forwards