Claim: South Africa's COVID-19 lockdown lead to rampant looting of shops and supermarkets.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Are The WHO Lockdown Protocol And Procedure For COVID-19 In India True?
What is the rumour about?
- The news that lockdown in South Africa will collapse if not controlled is being coupled with many incidents that are occurring in South Africa.
- Recently, the UN warned Africa to imply strict control measures to put a hold on to the increasing COVID-19 cases. As otherwise, the continent is estimated to face complete economic collapse. The number of positive coronavirus cases has already exceeded 10,000 where the number of deaths is over 500.
- Amidst this, many videos are surfacing on the internet showcasing that people are looting the shops and supermarkets, owing to the 21-day lockdown that the government has imposed since March 27, 2020.
Image courtesy: Facebook
Image courtesy: Facebook
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Is Tiger King Positive For Coronavirus? Did He Contract The Virus In Prison?
After an analysis of the Google Trends with respect to the South Africa looting incident, one can see that the people have been hugely interested to know about the same. The maximum number of searches was found to be done on April 8, 2020.
Image courtesy: Google Trends
ALSO READ| Fact Check - Can Government Read WhatsApp Chats Based On The Number Of Ticks You See?
Republic World did a fact check on the "South Africa looting incident" rumour
- Republic World did a fact check on the "South Africa looting incident" and it was found to be a false claim.
- The video showing people looting a supermarket is also reported to be an old incident as the video was found to be on Facebook since September 4, 2019.
- Even the video showing people running on the streets holding carcasses is not a current incident and has no connection with coronavirus lockdown. The incident is from September 26, 2019, when a butchery was looted in Valhalla Park in Cape Town one day ahead of their Heritage Day celebrations. Take a look at the snip below.
Image courtesy: Twitter
- Reportedly, the residents of the Valhalla Park in Cape Town were held responsible for the butchery looting incident. Some reports state that the butchery looting was carried out on the orders of local gangsters in preparation for the Heritage Day celebrations.
- However, there was a liquor looting incident that occurred on April 5, 2020, at Langa, Cape Town. Two suspects have been arrested for now. This was seen amidst the banning o liquor stores in South Africa amidst the 21-day Coronavirus lockdown.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Did Kathleen O’Mara Actually Write A Pandemic Poem In 1919?
Is there any rumour you want Republic World to do a fact check on? Do you have facts about a rumour? Share your pictures or videos with Republic World on firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this story itself.
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Is Sandra The Orangutan Washing Hands Due To The COVID-19 Pandemic?
ALSO READ| Fact Check: Did Italians Sing Chinese Song To Thank China For COVID-19 Aid?