Updated 5 March 2020 at 12:05 IST

14 to 15 BJP MLAs in touch with us: Maharashtra minister

Maharashtra minister Jayant Patil has claimed that 14 to 15 BJP MLAs from the state are in touch with the Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi, but the ruling alliance is not willing to commit the mistake of "poaching" opposition leaders.

Follow : Google News Icon  
Jayant Patil
14 to 15 BJP MLAs in touch with us: Maharashtra minister | Image: self

Maharashtra minister Jayant Patil has claimed that 14 to 15 BJP MLAs from the state are in touch with the Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi, but the ruling alliance is not willing to commit the mistake of "poaching" opposition leaders.

Patil's comment came in the wake of the Congress' allegation that the BJP was carrying out an "Operation Lotus" in Madhya Pradesh to bring down the Kamal Nath government in that state.

Patil, who is the Maharashtra NCP chief, also accused the BJP of being desperate for power.

"Fourteen to fifteen MLAs of the opposition party are in touch with us even today. We have to do their works as we share good relations with them (the MLAs concerned). We understand their mindset," Patil told reporters on Wednesday outside the state Legislature complex in Mumbai.

"Yet, it is not right to poach legislators...We don't intend to make that mistake. Our focus is on ensuring our government sustains," he added.

Advertisement

READ | 'What A Pity!': Fadnavis Not Buying Jayant Patil's 'Free Kashmir' Poster Defence

The BJP emerged as the single largest party in Maharashtra after the Assembly polls in October last year.

Advertisement

But, it failed to form government after the Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena snapped ties with it over the issue of sharing the chief ministerial post.

The Congress on Wednesday alleged "poaching" bid on its MLAs and allies by the opposition BJP in Madhya Pradesh.

The BJP, however, denied any move to topple the Kamal Nath government - which is surviving on support of over half a dozen independent, SP and BSP MLAs - and asked the ruling party to keep its own house in order.

Putting up a brave face amid the political turmoil, which comes just days ahead of the Rajya Sabha polls on March 26, Chief Minister Kamal Nath asserted that there was no threat to his government.

READ | 'Win For Developmental Politics', Says Jayant Patil Lauding Kejriwal Over Victory In Delhi

READ | NCP's Jayant Patil To Fadnavis: 'Free Kashmir from Internet Ban And Central Control'

Published By : Press Trust Of India

Published On: 5 March 2020 at 12:05 IST