Raj Kachori is known as one of the biggest kachori variants and also a chaat delicacy. It is a North Indian delicacy in which a kachori is stuffed with potato and sprout filling and served with curd, chutney, and sev. Raj Kachori is best served during festive occasions. Here is an easy recipe for raj kachori to make at home.
For Raj Kachori
- 1 cup fine rava or 160 grams fine rava (sooji or cream of wheat or semolina)
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda or 2 to 3 pinches
- 7 to 8 tablespoons water or add as required
- Oil as required - for deep frying
Also Read| Cashew Nut Curry recipe: How to make a Malvani curry with cashew nuts
For chaat stuffing
- 1.5 cups boiled chana
- 1.5 cups boiled moong or steamed moong sprouts
- 1.5 cups boiled and peeled potatoes cubes
- 10 to 12 papdi
- Fine sev - as required
- Chaat masala powder - as required
- ⅓ cup green chutney
- ⅓ cup sweet chutney
- ½ cup beaten curd (yogurt)
- Black salt – as required
- Roasted cumin powder – as required
- Red chili powder – as required
- Finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) – as required
Also Read| Mutton Curry Recipe: How to make delicious Malvani style mutton curry
Making raj kachori dough
- Take 1 cup fine rava (160 grams), 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour (atta) and 2 tablespoons besan (gram flour) in a mixing bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon saunf powder and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper powder. Also, add ⅛ teaspoon baking soda or 2 to 3 pinches of it.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil. Then add 7 to 8 tablespoons water in parts and begin to knead the dough. Add water as required and knead to a firm dough.
- The dough should not be soft. It should be firm. Cover the dough with a moist kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again and make medium sized balls from the dough. Cover the dough balls with a moist kitchen napkin, so that they do not become dry. Take the dough ball and gently roll it to a 4 to 5 inches diameter round. Do not make the kachoris either too thin or thick. Roll evenly.
- Assemble all the chaat ingredient elements before you start making raj kachori. Break the top crust of the kachori and create enough space inside for the chaat ingredients to occupy.
Also Read| Black ussal curry recipe: Learn how to cook this Malvani dish in the easiest way
Kachori Chaat preparation
- First, add some boiled chana or as required. Then add some boiled and peeled potatoes cubes. Next, add some boiled moong or steamed moong sprouts. Top it with some beaten curd. Next, add green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney as required.
- Sprinkle some black salt, roasted cumin powder, and red chili powder, as required.
- Crush some papdi and top it on the raj kachori. Add some boondi. Sprinkle some sev on top. Garnish with some pomegranate arils and chopped coriander leaves.
Also Read| Crispy palak cutlet recipe to start your day on a healthy note