Updated December 5th 2024, 20:09 IST
India, China Confirm Disengagement Agreement Progress At New Delhi Meeting
India and China have mutually expressed satisfaction with the ongoing development of the disengagement agreement at the 32nd meeting in New Delhi.
- India News
- 3 min read

New Delhi: India and China have mutually expressed satisfaction with the ongoing development of the disengagement agreement at the 32nd meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation & Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) held on Thursday in New Delhi.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday said that India and China have "positively affirmed" the implementation of the disengagement along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at the 32nd meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) held in Delhi.
In a statement, the MEA said, "The two sides positively affirmed the implementation of the most recent disengagement agreement which completed the resolution of the issues that emerged in 2020."
The two sides also prepared for the next meeting of the Special Representatives, which will be held based on the decision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping during their meeting on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit in Russia's Kazan on October 23, the MEA said.
"They agreed on the need for effective border management and maintenance of peace & tranquillity in accordance with relevant bilateral agreements, protocols and understandings reached between the two Governments," it said.
Notably, India announced a major breakthrough in reaching a border agreement with China on October 21 to end the longstanding standoff. China also confirmed the agreement, stating that a resolution had been reached on "relevant matters" and that it would work alongside India to implement the terms of this agreement.
On June 15, 2020, a major conflict in the Galwan Valley along the India-China border, located in the eastern Ladakh region, took place between the Indian Army and the Chinese forces. During the confrontation between the two sides, 20 Indian soldiers were martyred, while at least 38 Chinese People’s Liberation Army Soldiers also died.
However, in October 2024, military and diplomatic talks led to an agreement on patrolling along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in India-China border areas, facilitating disengagement and resolution of issues that arose in 2020.
“The two sides positively affirmed the implementation of the most recent disengagement agreement which completed the resolution of the issues that emerged in 2020. They also prepared for the next meeting of the Special Representatives, which is to be held in accordance with the decision of the two leaders in their meeting in Kazan on 23 October 2024," a press release by the External Affairs Ministry released Thursday said.
It also said that the Indian delegation was led by Gourangalal Das, Joint Secretary for East Asia, while the Chinese side was headed by Hong Liang, Director General of the Boundary & Oceanic Affairs Department.
“Both sides reviewed the situation in border areas and reflected on the lessons learnt from the events of 2020 in order to prevent their recurrence. In this context, they highlighted the importance of regular exchanges and contacts at the diplomatic and military levels through established mechanisms. They agreed on the need for effective border management and maintenance of peace & tranquillity in accordance with relevant bilateral agreements, protocols and understandings reached between the two Governments," the release further added.
Get Current Updates on India News, Entertainment News along with Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the world.
Published December 5th 2024, 19:42 IST