Under the guise of a sham 'crackdown' on terrorism emanating from its soil, Pakistan has effectively extended state protection to 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed's Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation (FIF), with the police placing itself outside the heavily fortified complex.
The so-called crackdown on Hafiz Saeed isn't the first and is unlikely to be the last, with the Pakistan government using the plotter as a sort-of joker in the pack, clamping down on him whenever it feels the heat from the international community - as it's doing now - and letting him off when the time is opportune, as had been done before the 2018 Pakistan elections when Saeed had been freed from his sham house arrest and founded a politico-terror outfit called the Milli Muslim League with which he contested said election.
This terrorist-in-a-box tactic has most recently been deployed by Pakistan to avoid being black-listed by the FATF - an inter-governmental anti-money laundering watchdog. Pakistan is currently grey-listed. Being black-listed will entail global financial ramifications that debt-crushed Pakistan simply cannot afford at the moment.
As per agency inputs, least 56 seminaries and facilities being run by the Jamaat-ud-Dawa and Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation in Pakistan's southern Sindh province have also been taken over by authorities in recent days.
"The Sindh government also decided to move against the proscribed organisations after the crackdown started by the Centre, advisor to the Sindh Chief Minister on Information and Law, Barrister Murtaza Wahab had said.
The confiscation of properties of JuD and FIF comes after Pakistan formally placed them in the list of banned organisations on Tuesday, March 5 - in itself a sham act as it had only a day earlier put the same two organisations on its 'watch list' within the same National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) framework.
According to officials, the JuD's network includes 300 seminaries and schools, hospitals, a publishing house, and ambulance service. The two groups have about 50,000 volunteers and hundreds of other paid workers on its roster, all part of the facade it provides for the Lashkar-e-Toiba which was responsible for carrying out the Mumbai attack that killed 166 people. It had been declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the US in June 2014.